It’s tournament time! Every year we have the NCAA Basketball Championship at this time. The selection committee seats 64 teams in the country, well, really 68 teams as there are four play in games. Win and your in the 64 team bracket. That seems to be the ultimate buzz word at this time, bracket. There are plenty of people playing online, ESPN has over 13 million brackets submitted, at the office and at your favorite bar or restaurant. If you want to print a bracket for your own needs, here is this years printable bracket.
The tournament schedule is as follows – 1st and 2nd rounds are March 16th thru the 19th, the Sweet 16 is March 23rd & 24th, the Elite 8 is March 25th & 26th, the Final Four is April 1st and the National Championship game is on April 3rd.
So what can you do to take advantage of this very exciting tournament time. Here are some ideas to help you:
1. If you have TV’s make sure that they are tuned in to the games. The games are being played on CBS, TruTV, TBS and TNT networks.
2. Offer a happy hour special from the bar during game times and maybe feature some appetizers. Make them shareable or sampler platters for a group.
3. Have a large bracket printed out and updated for guests to see where the tournament is at.
4. Offer specials based on rounds. For example, second round can be $2 Drafts or nachos, while the Final Four can be $4 burgers. Get creative!
5. There will always be some customers who just prefer to watch at home. Be sure you offer great takeout deals to encourage those customers to eat your food during the games.
If you are going to run some promotions during the March Madness tournament just be sure to utilize your Social Media channels (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter), your web site and your email newsletter to let your customers know that there is something special going on. That covers the digital realm, don’t forget to promote internally with posters, table tents, menu inserts and the like. Contact me directly to help with marketing and promoting the next three weekends.
Good luck with your bracket if you played. I did mine using the ESPN Tournament Challenge app and I have two brackets submitted. I have North Carolina winning in one and Kansas winning in the other. Makes it fun to follow the tournament.